The Return of Vivienne Westwood's Snail Pendant

Vivienne Westwood is one of my all time favourite designers, and is one of my inspirations for wanting to be involved in the fashion industry - but most fashion students say that, right? However back when I was a kid in the 90's, the punk and ska scene was still going strong in my household. From this, I grew up to the sounds of The Specials, Madness and The Sex Pistols, with my mum and dad both being huge Vivienne Westwood fans as part of their scene. It's still hard for me to accept that my parents used to be moderately cool back in their day, and looking back, they still actually look quite fashion forward in photographs, both proudly wearing their latest pieces from Carnaby Street.


Since I had my first job when I was 16, I have always found myself saving up for Westwood's jewellery, with my first piece being a classic resin orb with Swarovski crystals - I've still got it today, and I wear it all the time. Although some pieces have come and gone; straight to eBay in desperate times as a student, and I even had one incident in college when a drunk girl pulled a limited edition resin bone bracelet from my wrist. I will always come back to Westwood as a staple designer to include in my accessories at all times!

This season, Westwood has rereleased one of my favourite pieces for her SS14 collection from all the way back in 2002, from her 'Nymphs' SS02 range.

I really love interesting accessories, especially with a quirky aspect, and this really fits the bill. I bet you're thinking to yourself how realistic the craftmanship is from the below photographs, it actually looks like a real snail! That's because its created  using a real snail shell! How brilliant and unique is that?

All images: Vivienne Westwood

Are you a fan of Vivienne Westwood? Do you prefer quirky jewelery pieces, or are you more drawn to classic designs?

No comments:

Post a Comment