Book Review: Inferno - Dan Brown

Living at home in my third year now means I drive a two hour-round commute to lectures. Listening to the radio was beginning to become unbearable; so I decided to download an audiobook. I'd been dying to read Inferno, and with an impending trip to Italy, it seemed like the obvious choice. After studying an Art History A-Level at college, I love anything renaissance or remotely Italian, and I love love love mythology and legends, so Dan Brown's books have always really appealed to me. Although The Da Vinci Code was slightly infuriating from an Art History point of view... factual yes, misinterpreted yes... I still really couldn't help but enjoy it.

Whilst the character of Robert Langdon is tarnished by Tom Hanks' awful portrayal of him in the movies, the audiobook completed wiped this image away again. I'm really glad that I chose to listen to Inferno rather than read it, I feel like I never get time to read at the moment so it seemed more productive than mindlessly listening to Nick Grimshaw.


As soon as I began listening to Inferno, I was consumed and some moments I didn't want my commute to end. I'm writing a piece about Capitalism's affect on our society for a university project, and this book gave me so much inspiration. The book focused a lot on the world's overconsumption of resources and disregard for any effects, and one mans solution to our over-population problems. I thought it was a really good read, although it seemed to over-lengthen some parts, it was a great book to get stuck into before our trip to Florence next week.

I know this is a short review, but I always find that long reviews can give too much of the plot away, and can sometimes ruin the book. I would definitely recommend reading Inferno if you've enjoyed Brown's other books, I'd give it 3/5 stars overall!

Sources: Book

No comments:

Post a Comment